Friday, August 16, 2013

Bourbanista

it's Fan Friday and I am a big fan of bourbon, heck...I may even be its biggest fan. And what goes better than bourbon with football?! Beer you say? I don't hardly think so. Wings...ok, so maybe it would be a tie.

For those of you who don't really drink bourbon...there's a few things you should know about it. It is the only spirit that is specific to the U.S. and it is governed by quite a few laws. While you could use the same formula and make it in another country...by international agreement, it isn't bourbon. And the biggest stipulation that differentiates bourbon from regular rye whiskey is that bourbon must be at least 51% corn and no more than 79%, hence the slightly sweeter taste. There are more laws, go read about them here. 

Here are my some of my favorite ways to enjoy your bourbon before the big game(or if you're at home or if you're a bit sneaky, at the game)

1) In the first few months of the season, while it is still warm out, you could enjoy it as a cocktail.

I recommend my Blackberry Brandy and bourbon cocktail I concocted a few months back. Or as I like to call it "The Naughty Southerner" You can check out the recipe on my other blog here.



2) You can enjoy it as a popsicle. I made these Strawberry Bourbonade's earlier this summer and you can't go wrong. Check them out .here



3)You can add it to your flatbread pizza and enjoy it as an appetizer. Check out my prosciutto and pancetta flatbread pizza with a bourbon apricot sauce here



4)  You can buy a jar of cherries and pour out half(or all) of the cherry juice and then fill it with some tasty bourbon. Pack them back in the fridgema and get one out whenever you feel the urge, garnish your favorite drink with one, Bring them to tailgate and everyone will be loving you for it. You can even go crazy like I did once and dip them in dark chocolate and make yourself a boozy little chocolate covered cherry. Cause why wouldn't you?

5) This is especially best for those crisp Fall nights. Just drink it Striaght. And by straight, I mean neat. Directly out of the bottle. Room temp. No ice and God forbid you add any soda to it. Ech.

and here are 5 I recommend. Some are less expensive and some will cost you a penny...but these are my favorites.


Makers 46
Old Forrester
Evan Williams
Bookers
Basil Hayden

I should mention that when you order bourbon(or any whiskey at a bar) and you are a woman..you rarely pay for it. Men seem to like that kind of thing.So single ladies...use this to your advantage. 

Just keep in mind that while all bourbon is whiskey, not all whiskey is bourbon;)

Linking up with Fan Friday & Five For Friday & Friday Favorites, That Friday Blog Hop


3 comments:

  1. You just blew my mind. Bourbon and pizza?? Popsicles?? YUM.

    Jack and coke is my favorite football watching drink. I gotta drink the Jack, represent Tennessee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Bourbon Pizza and the Cherries are my favorite ideas! Let's get boozy together! ;) Haha! I am a cheese head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a born and raised Kentuckian, I love that you love bourbon so much! It can definitely be an acquired taste!

    ReplyDelete